It’s natural for us to neglect maintenance. It works like this:
- You have a problem that needs to be fixed.
- You neglect the need for awhile because it’s not “bad enough” for you to spend money on it.
- The problem worsens; the need intensifies. Extra work is done to keep things running.
- The need is prioritized. But the solution is too expensive.
- The problem worsens even more. Tons of extra work is done to keep things running.
- The money spent on temporary solutions nears the total cost of a solution.
- You purchase a solution to the problem.