Technical Architect work on a variety of projects ranging from server and application performance tuning assessments to development process and tools improvements primarily leveraging the Atlassian stack (JIRA Software, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo). Our ideal candidate is a fast learning, clear communicator with varied experience in one or more of the following disciplines:
- IT Service Management / ITIL
- IT Operations
- DevOps / CI CD
- Agile Software Development
- Quality Assurance
- Linux Systems Administration
Project responsibilities, commensurate with experience and aptitude, may include:
- Designing functional technology solutions
- Overseeing development and implementation of programs
- Providing technical leadership and support to software development teams
- Understand company needs to define system specifications
- Plan and design the structure of a technology solution
- Communicate system requirements to software development teams
- Evaluate and select appropriate software or hardware and suggest integration methods
- Oversee assigned programs (e.g. conduct code review) and provide guidance to team members
- Assist with solving technical problems when they arise
- Ensure the implementation of agreed architecture and infrastructure
- Address technical concerns, ideas and suggestions
- Monitor systems to ensure they meet both user needs and business goals
- Leading clients through requirements gathering and process analysis
- Solution build-out and testing
- Deployment and management of complex Atlassian and ancillary product implementations
- Guiding clients through user acceptance testing
- Designing and developing product add-ons
- Working independently on small to medium projects or as a team member on larger engagements
- Managing projects and client communications
- Communicating openly with team members and management about project status, successes, risks, issues, and sales opportunities in a timely manner
We're always looking for candidates of diverse professional backgrounds and experience levels. The list below represents a candidate for an entry level Technical Consultant.
- University degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field of study OR unrelated University degree and two years experience in IT Service Management, software development, Quality Assurance, or related field
- Working familiarity with one or more of the following:
- Software development best practices
- Agile development management practices
- IT Service Management best practices, ITIL preferred
- Working knowledge of linux systems administration
- Ability to travel as necessary to assist remote clients
- Typically 50% over the course of a year
- Projects where travel is involved typically have a mix of on-site and remote work
The technical consulting work that we do spans many disciplines and your experience will help determine where you are the best fit. We primarily work with the Atlassian tools and experience with them is a benefit but not required. Linux administrators may perform installations, migrations, and performance tuning of java applications, as well as interact with teams that manage load balancers, storage, a networking devices. Process consultants may provide process expertise to the development community working with CI/CD, Dev Ops, and build and release teams.
These are helpful skills to have:
- Knowledge in test case development and test management
- Experience using and/or configuring Atlassian applications
- Linux system administration experience
- Experience with software development processes
- Software development expertise
- Java, Python, Node.js
- An understanding of relational databases (PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL)
- Working knowledge of software version control systems such as Git, Subversion, Perforce, and/or Mercurial
- Familiarity with CI/CD tools (Bamboo, Jenkins, TeamCity)
- Background in configuration management tools (Puppet, Docker, Chef, Ansible)
- Experience with cloud hosting platforms (AWS, Microsoft Azure)
- Hands-on experience with software development and system administration
- Understanding of strategic IT solutions
- Experience in project management and service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Familiarity with various operating systems (e.g. Windows, UNIX) and databases (e.g. MySQL)
- Experience in cloud technologies (e.g. VMware)
- Excellent communication skills
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Organizational and leadership skills
- BSc/BA in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field
Technical Consultants are exposed to ever changing, challenging client environments. Successful Technical Consultants exhibit the following:
- Ethics and Values – Adheres to a set of core values and beliefs during good times and bad, acts in line with those values. Practice what you preach.
- Integrity and Trust – Is widely trusted and is viewed as direct and truthful.
- Problem Solving – Solves difficult problems logically and with effective solutions.
- Self-Development – Is personally committed and actively works to continuously improve himself/herself.
- Humor – Has a positive and constructive sense of humor, is appropriately funny and can use humor to ease tension.
- Discretion - Has the ability to respect sensitive information.
- Intellectual Drive – Bright and intelligent, deals with concepts and complexity with ease.
- Composure – Remains cool under pressure, does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough.
- Drive for Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals and steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Fast Learner – Learns skills quickly with facing new problems, a relentless and versatile learner, open to change, and analyzes both successes and failures for clues to improvement.
- Decision Quality – Makes good decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment.
- Perseverance – Pursues everything with energy, drive, and a need to finish.
- Creative – Finds solutions and new and unique ideas, easily makes connections and tends to be seen as value-adding in brainstorming sessions.
- Proactive – Thinks ahead and prevents potential issues and problems.